Applied Chaos

My photo
Midwestern USA
Applied Chaos is how life feels living with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder or ADHD. This theory is definately put to the test when three AD/HD people live under the same roof. I am an AD/HD mom raising two AD/HD children and being mom is the most extraordinary experience of my lifetime. My husband WES, is NOT AD/HD and most days the three of us make his head spin. YET he is sooooo amazingly patient, despite the unannounced and sudden mood shifts that can occur when something that should be simple is not. That is the hardest part of living with AD/HD. When things that should be simple are not. I have little tolerance for my downfalls. Sheer frustration can lead to angry outbursts when I have once again misplaced my cell phone, the house phone, any number of bills, the car keys, the dog, or my portable brain (calendar)!

Welcome to my CRAZY life!!!!

I was diagnosed with AD/HD as an adult and only after both my children were diagnosed. When I received my diagnosis of ADHD I had a moment of awakening and suddenly soo many things made complete sense. I finally began to understand so many things about myself.

Now I wish to hear from you. Yes, you out there reading this blog about living with ADHD. How has ADHD been a blessing, a curse, a help, or a hinder. I dislike the word disorder at the end. of Attention Defidit Hpyperactive...I do not believe that it is a disorder. Disorder makes it sound like a malfunction. People with ADHD are not broken, just different.

I hope you will share on this blog how ADHD has changed your life for the better and how you cope with the experiment in Applied Chaos that goes with ADHD on a daily basis.

Often people with ADHD can feel lost and overwhelmed yet, you are not alone and there is always a light at the eend of the tunnel. Tell me how do YOU find the light at the end of the tunnel when life seems to be an endless experiment in Applied Chaos?! I look forward to hearing from YOU!!!

Have a blessed day~



Erika Lyn Smith



July 9, 2010

BusyBodyBooks - Personal & Family Organizer

I love starting a new planner and now I do not have to wait until the start of a new year. I have been using the busybody book personal and family planner since January and I love this personal organizer! Joan Goldner's design is extremely user friendly, especially for people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or AD/HD.


I have ordered a new mid-year planner that I will begin using in August 2010. I write everything down in my planner since this incredible design allows me plenty of room to keep notes on phone calls made, bills paid, and changes to my personal and work schedule. I am learning how simple and effective this planner design is every time I make an entry and with a family of five people and one beagle I need a lot of space to write!

Even the grid boxes on the dated side of the planner allow for lengthy written information. If I have an appointment I write a phone number when I write in the time and place so if I need to change the appointment or need last minute directions I do not have to search for the number to call.

When I make a phone call I include information regarding my conversation and the name and number of the person I spoke to on the phone. Often when making a call you are transferred numerous times before reaching a living voice, so I always ask for a name and number before I end the call.

Recently we travelled to Boston and as I made our online reservations I wrote them into the note section on the week we would be travelling. I included flight numbers, times and confirmation numbers of my online reservations. I also included hotel and rental car information. Since we were renting a home near the ocean for a small part of our trip I wrote down the owners name, number, and email.

I cannot count how many times I referenced this information throughout our trip and never did I have to search more than a few seconds before finding what I needed. The hard plastic cover protects the organizer and allows me to carry my planner everywhere without damaging the book. The size is great for a purse or carryon luggage and the pockets inside allow me to carry a print out of our travel itinerary.

My daughter is going to use one for her school studies this fall and loved the new designs. I wish there were more colors to choose from. I no longer need to carry a separate small note book with me because as long as I have this planner I have everything I need to stay organized. If you are a planner junkie like me I dare you to try this one and I know you will not be dissatisfied.


This is the one I use currently.














This is the one I just ordered from Amazon and will be using at the end of this month.















This is the other one available for mid year.















If you already use this planner tell me how this planner has made your life easier and have a blessed day!